BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

05 May 2016

An Apology To Erin (Revisited)...

A gay friend of a gay friend of mine posted this cartoon online and the two, joined by a third person proceeded to 'LOL' and 'like' the post.

Why do I point out the sexual preference of the people involved?  Because it speaks to the fact that embracing violence, finding pleasure in others' pain, and general moral sickness is not limited to straight, white, or male people.

And I owe my niece an apology...



You see, for quite some time my niece has been decrying what she calls the 'rape culture' of America.  My insistence has been that there is no culture - no societal norm - of rape in America.

But I don't play video games, I rarely go to movies, and I don't have television at home.  I go to work, I go home, and I go to church.  The people I associate with, in the settings in which we associate, don't talk about, display, or exhibit violent behavior toward anyone, let alone toward women.

So, when I saw this cartoon I was stunned, repulsed and disgusted.

When I expressed this in a comment on the post, the original poster jumped in, accused me of having mental issues, and justified the post as a humorous communication to a friend who would appreciate it.

Except it wasn't.

When we share on social media, many times there is a way to make a message private or to restrict who sees the message.  This poster opted to post this image publicly.  He thought nothing of the anti-social, vile, despicable act portrayed and thought less about showing it to the world.

So, Erin, while I still believe that America is a place where right is right and wrong is wrong and where society will not accept violence against women or anyone else, I apologize for discounting your point of view.

It is evident that this is working itself into our culture.  And if we do not return to a civil society of moral people, this cartoon will become our signature image, and not some repugnant anomaly.

EDIT - 12 January 2018

It would seem that one reason those on the political left are so taken with the notion of a 'rape culture' that pervades American life would be that they are intimately familiar with it. 

Leftists from Harvey Weinstein to Al Franken have recently been exposed as flagrant perverts, misogynists, and even rapists.  (No, don't bring up Roy Moore.  He's a relative minority - being conservative - in the recent flood of perverts revealed.)

The old stories from Bill Clinton's presidential candidacy and terms in office still haven't garnered much attention from the likes of Oprah Winfrey or Elizabeth Warren.  It would seem that those on the political left have an exceptionally high tolerance for liberal-on-liberal sex crimes. 

But perhaps, those young leftists who actually believe the Party Line about equality and respect have had about enough.  When will they understand that the rest of the promises of secular statism are lies, too?


0 comments: