BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

30 August 2011

The Things You Learn When You Just Listen...

Nancy Pelosi's Irrational Rant

See, I've been a conservative since 4th grade.  That's when I became politically aware.  It was the year Ronald Reagan ran against Jimmy Carter for the presidency of the United States.  According to Nancy Pelosi, I have never really understood what I stand for.  This was almost a revelation to me!

Watching this, I felt a lot like I have in the past when I've read "literature" that claims to expose the dark side of the Mormon church.

I'm pretty sure I know every nook and cranny of the Mormons' doctrine and practices.  I've been pretty "high up" in the Mormon church.  Suffice it to say that I'm "in the know" on a lot of different things going on "inside" the organization.

So far, no dark side....

Likewise, I'm pretty sure I know the ins and outs of conservative political thought.  I've read Thomas Payne's "Common Sense"; I've read Glenn Beck's "Common Sense"; and I've read Mark Levin's conservative manifesto, "Liberty and Tyranny".

No dark side there, either.

I'm pretty sure I even understand a lot of "Tea Party's" frustrations out there.  I even went to a rally back in 2009.  And I'm confident that conservatives and "Tea Party" like clean air, clean water, safe food, old people and children.  They even like working people and birds.  Many of them at the rally had pets with them.  While I'm not a veterinarian, the animals looked healthy and well-cared for.  There were white people, black people and brown people at the rally (which is remarkable in our county where 98% of the population is "white", 2% are "native American", and the rounding error includes everyone else.

They were not fighting and they were not tearing things up.  They talked about ideas and, from what I heard, I'm pretty sure that their plan for American prosperity does not involve making sure poor people pay bank fees.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that Nancy Pelosi didn't get a single thing right in this little "town hall" meeting statement.

Really, guys, if you're a progressive person, do you REALLY think this is what's driving the conservative movement?  Museum quality art?  Taller masts (giggles in the background)?  Bank fees for poor people?  Taking away air from kids?

Get the story straight: either "Tea Party" is a rich guy swilling brandy on a yacht with Filipino servants and his trophy wife, or "Tea Party" is a redneck xenophobe shooting beer cans off the hood of a Buick while his pregnant-barefoot wife tends the kids and makes him nachos, or "Tea Party" is a frustrated middle-aged middle-manager in a middle-sized company in middle-America.  You can't have it all ways.  And if it IS all ways, maybe "Tea Party" has something there.

Please - and I'm serious in this plea - let's talk about IDEAS and stop throwing bombs at each other.  A jab every now and then is healthy (and even funny), but ridiculous accusations like Mrs. Pelosi makes here are beyond the pale.

1 comments:

Karl Tenney said...

This woman is stageringly stoopid.